Q. What are the income guidelines to qualify for HUD?


Q. What is required for eligibility for your affordable housing program?
Based on federal regulations, the owner/agent may admit only eligible applicants. In the selection of applicants for admission, eligibility criteria have been established in accordance with HUD guidelines.
The following eligibility standards will be applied in accordance with HUD requirements:
1. The household’s annual income must not exceed program income limits at move-in
2. The Head-of-Household (HOH), co-Head-of-Household and the spouse (regardless of age) and all adults in each household must sign an Authorization for Release of Information (HUD Forms 9887 and 9887A) and owner/agent created verification documents prior to receiving assistance and annually thereafter
3. The unit for which the household is applying must be the household’s only residence
4. An applicant must agree to pay the rent required by the program under which the applicant will receive assistance
5. Only U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens may receive assistance (See additional information below and in Appendix B)
6. Applicants who claim eligible status must disclose Social Security Numbers for all household members and provide proof of the numbers reported (See additional information below)
7. The household size must be appropriate for the available apartments (See Occupancy Standards)
8. All information reported by the household is subject to verification
Q. Where are the housing units located?

A. CHRC's affordable housing units are located in five communities within the city of Columbia, Tennessee. To view a map of the housing units click here.

Q. Will my application be accepted if it's incomplete?

A. No, if your application is incomplete and does not included all the required documentation it will be rejected.

Q. How old do I have to be to apply for housing?

A. You must be 18 years of age to apply.

Q. Where can I get an application?

A. You may visit the management office to receive an application or you can apply online. Please be advised that the CHRC waiting list may close due to reaching a maximum number of applications, and if we are unable to house those individuals within a reasonable amount of time. This notice is posted in the local newspaper and on our website.  Please click here to make sure that you have all the required documentation with your application.

Q. Can I smoke in your apartments?

A. No.  Smoking is prohibited in any area of the property, both private and common, whether enclosed or outdoors. This policy applies to all owners, property staff, applicants, residents, guests, and servicepersons.

“Smoking” shall include the inhaling, exhaling, or carrying of any lighted cigarette, e-cigarette, cigar, pipe, hookah, other tobacco products, marijuana including medical marijuana, herbal smoking products “Legal Weed” or products known as “bath salts” or other legal or illegal substance.
Please note that use of illegal or controlled substances is grounds for denial of housing/assistance in accordance with the Quality Work & Housing Responsibility Act (QWHRA). Use of illegal or controlled substances after residency may result in termination of housing assistance and/or eviction as allowed under regulation.
Regardless of the purpose of legalization under state law, the use of marijuana in any form, is illegal under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) and therefore is an illegal controlled substance under Section 577 of the Quality Housing and Work Responsibility Act (QHWRA). Based on federal law, new admissions of any marijuana user – including people who use medical marijuana - are prohibited.
QHWRA requires that owner/agents establish lease standards that prohibit admission based on the illegal use of controlled substances including state legalized marijuana. State laws that legalize medical marijuana directly conflict with QHWRA and thus are subject to federal preemption.
Residents are prohibited from using marijuana (even in a smokeless manner).
If HUD rules change, the property Resident Selection Plan and the property House Rules may be edited to conform to the policies set forth by HUD.


Q. Can I have a pet?

A. Residents are allowed to keep pets in the unit.

Certain restrictions apply and are outlined in the property Pet Rules. Pets and assistance animals must be approved before they are allowed to live in the unit. A copy of the Pet Rules is available upon request.
When applicable, residents must agree to pay any required pet deposit and must agree to abide by the property’s Pet Rules and/or Assistance Animal Rules.
If an applicant wishes to request approval of an assistance animal – necessary to alleviate the symptoms or side-effects of a disability, the applicant (or applicant’s representative) must request a reasonable accommodation. Please review the process to request a reasonable accommodation in Appendix A. The applicant should also review the Assistance Animal Policy which is available upon request.
Residents, their guests and/or service providers are required to comply with the property Pet Rules.
The Pet Rules require residents who own dogs or cats (pets) or keep dogs or cats (pets) in their units to pay a pet deposit. The pet deposit will be $200.00. Residents may request to pay the pet deposit in installments. The owner/agent will review the request and may agree to accept the pet deposit in payments ($100 when the pet is added and $50.00 per month for two months (2) until the $200 pet deposit has been paid).
Assistance animals that assist persons with disabilities are not subject to the rules outline in the Pet Rules, but are subject to rules outlined in the Assistance Animal Rules.
Residents are not required to pay a “pet deposit” when adding an Assistance Animal because an Assistance Animal is not a pet.
Residents, guests and service providers will be required to comply with the Assistance Animal Rules.